A Brief Discussion With Sherilyn Fenn: Lexington Comic and Toy Con, 2024

Sherilyn Fenn, Twin Peaks, Lexington Comic and Toy Con, Lexington Comic Con
Sherilyn Fenn at the 2024 Lexington, KY Comic and Toy Con.



The 2024 Lexington Toy and Comic Con was a crowded event. I had many questions prepared, but time did not permit me to ask them. The following is comprised of three separate visits to her table. 

No one is more aware than I that my questions are far from high quality. I've omitted my thanks and other inconsequential comments from myself. 

As always, Ms. Fenn was courteous and down-to-earth. Her signing table had a lone burning candle, a porcelain red cap mushroom, and several gem shards. I remember rose quartz and amethyst.  


AM: There's a scene in Twin Peaks - this one! (I place on the table a printed still of Audrey sitting on Agent Cooper's bed, which Sherilyn picks up and studies). When I was watching it, it almost seemed like Audrey started to move closer to Agent Cooper, as though she was going to kiss him. (You can read more here.)


SF
: Mmm-Hmm.

AM: Did that happen?

SF: She tried to, but there was always a thing. It's like, he was supposed to be walking this wire of, "Oh my gosh," you know, so yeah. And that was still before - was this the first season? (She points to the picture.)

AM: Second season. It's after she's come back from One-Eyed Jack's.

SF: And she's trying to tell him what's going on. 

AM: One time you told me, just like you said to someone a few minutes ago, that Joan Chen was originally going to be with Cooper.

SF: Mmm-hmm.

AM: Was there going to be a love triangle with Sheriff Truman? 

SF: That's a good question. I have no idea. I didn't know - he (Lynch) never told us what was going to happen. They just put me with Dale because he is in the Great Northern. "Oh, we can use Audrey." He (Lynch) met me and wrote me in later. I wasn't in the original script for Twin Peaks. So I don't think they thought that anything would happen, but there was somehow natural chemistry and everybody loved us together, and so they had to work with that when his (MacLachlan's) girlfriend got mad.

AM: I wish I could read the scripts. Harley Peyton said they were already written, what was going to happen with Audrey and Cooper. 

SF: Until they changed everything. They started to see, "This is happening. This is great. Who knew?" But then...

AM: I wondered if you could tell me which outfits are yours. (I place six photos on the table) 

SF: This one. This one. This one. (Sherilyn rapidly points and I follow her by drawing an X after each selection.) 

Sherilyn Fenn, Audrey Horne, Twin Peaks, Twin Peaks style, Twin Peaks fashionThe pictures I presented to Ms. Fenn. 

Sherilyn points to two suits that look similar. 

SF: This one (unchecked in the group of images, where Audrey is leaning against the door) they went and bought one like it because it was that blue color that I liked. It was fun to see how much I lost (to the wardrobe department). I always end up doing that because sometimes, as you think about your character, you think about a certain piece in your closet that you might have. 

Sherilyn's Handler: Well, I certainly had to wear wardrobe in my days that I didn't feel comfortable in. I'm sure even more so for you. 

SF: Yes.

SH: At least you're comfortable in your own clothes. 

SF: Yeah, I'll be like, "Oh no." Just One of the Guys, they had these clothes put out. I'm like, "Who are these for?" And they're like, "You." And I'm like, (shakes head) "Mmm-Nmn". I'm going home and getting clothes and I'll bring them back.

AM: I forgot to include these. (Shows pictures on phone of clothing not included in the printed photos.)

SF: (Of Audrey ski trip ensemble) Uh-huh. No, That's their stuff. 'Cause they literally just pulled us off the set one day and said, "We need a picture for his office."

AM: You once said you planned on writing a book about Audrey. Do you still have any hope of doing that?

SF: I go back and I started looking at the show again. It was so hard. I wasn't sure what I wanted to say and I wasn't sure how it could only be about Audrey. I just haven't figured out how to do it. 

AM: From a fan's perspective, even if it is just what you created for Audrey, just your personal thoughts...

SF: Like Audrey's diaries?

AM: People would love that. They would love any of your own personal thoughts, any backstories you created. Anything. 

SF: I would have to put it in a book that's like my memoir-y thing of my own because they come after you, and it's ridiculous. I couldn't call it Audrey, even though she was written for me. It doesn't matter. I will think about that. 

AM: This will sound strange, but I'm always interested in things that may have happened in an early idea or script, but were later changed. Celeb Deschanel said that he thought an interesting season two story would have been if Audrey had gotten pregnant - this was before John Justice Wheeler. I didn't know if at one time something may have happened at One-Eyed Jack's. When Emory Battis is being questioned by Jean Renault, the script says, the best Audrey can manage is that he hit her. I didn't know if at one time something else happened - because I don't know how else pregnancy would have come into play. 

SF: He's (Deschanel) a creative guy. Director of photography then he started directing as well. He just had ideas about something that should happen because - He (Lynch) wanted it to be a close encounter with my father, so that is almost verifies that he really is kind of like this bad guy that I think he is, you know? And really, (it) kind of fueled me to going toward Dale Cooper even, because she's thinking he's her knight in shining armor. Like those situations where you meet somebody, and you love them and they're going to change your life, but I don't know. You mean pregnant by my dad?

AM: No, no, no! One of the guys at One-Eyed Jack's. Emory Battis or someone. 

SF: No. Cause David said she's a virgin. So he was never going to let - that was going to be an event. Which maybe initially would have been with Dale Cooper, but that she was a virgin was essential to him to get out into the thing. I don't know that Caleb knew that. 

As the line grew, I asked for her permission to repeat what she told me, thanked her and said goodbye. She blew me a kiss.  

Comments